Payments Corporate Counsel
Who Are We?
MerchantE is an innovative, technology-focused company providing a full-service platform to support the payment processing needs for merchants of all sizes, including small business retail shops, B2B wholesalers, and global eCommerce enterprises. We partner with financial institutions, software developers, independent sales organizations, and agents to bring our solutions to market.
Why Join Us?
We’re growing and we’re looking for collaborative, innovative, and hard-working individuals to grow with us! We offer a modern and inspiring work environment where your ideas and contributions are valued. Come experience, first-hand, the impact of your contributions.
The Corporate Counsel will provide legal support to the organization, primarily negotiating, drafting and reviewing complex contracts and pricing agreements, along with any other duties necessary to protect the interests of the company. This position will provide direct support to Sales, Finance, HR, and Operations teams in managing, drafting, negotiating, and closing a variety of commercial and customer agreements. The position will require independently advising the business on matters requiring developed legal and counseling skills in multiple areas of corporate expertise.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Interact with business, finance, and sales teams at Company and outside collaborators and counterparties on contract discussions.
- Provide general advice and support on any requested issues, including discussions/negotiations, internal business issues, risk mitigation, compliance, etc.
- Draft, review and negotiate vendor agreements, NDAs, consultant agreements, agency agreements, master services agreements, statements of work and other commercial agreements.
- Manage contract preparation, distribution, negotiation and signing processes.
- Initiate, prepare and manage communications concerning contract disputes, termination dates, close-outs, extensions and renewals.
- Lead internal legal function and partner with business operations to execute, maintain and manage the general legal and regulatory requirement of the company
- Manage strategic initiatives and governance reporting leveraging outside counsel.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required:
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- JD from an accredited law school and bar admission to at least one state, preferably Georgia
- 5+ years relevant legal experience in law firm setting, specific to corporate and/or securities law.
- Knowledge of laws and regulations generally applicable to payment or financial services providers, independent software vendors (ISV), and/or independent sales organizations (ISO) within the Payments industry.
- Experience with complex technology transactions and contracts